Arnett is the designer behind the legendary Harley Davidson Logo. He has won numerous Awards as an Art Director and Graphic designer, his studio is situated in London, England.


1. What do you prefer to work with; pen pencil or computer?

When ideating, my favorite tool of choice is a fountain pen.

2. What inspires you?

I don’ t make choices when it comes to inspiration. I can be moved or inspired by anything at any time --- a painting, a person, a book, a song, a sunrise, you name it. From my perspective, a designer should always open their mind to their surroundings, drawing upon influences that constantly shape the human condition. After all, at its core, design is a human activity.

3. How do you begin working on a new project?

I generally begin any project with an open mind and a conversation. In my world everything starts with a dialogue that explores the “ what, how, why and who” . We have a multi-disciplinary and collaborative team approach at VSA and our greatest work comes as a result of exploring and discussing every dimension of project. The answers, suggestions and overall input from team members most often results in a much more powerful outcome.

4. Who or what has the most influence on your work?

The people around me have always shaped and influenced my work the most. Sure, I’ ve always admired a host of designers and artists, but the most direct source of influence comes from the people who I team with.

5. What's the best advice you've ever received?

Take a risk.

6. What is your proudest project or creative moment?

My proudest achievement is helping to build VSA Partners. Nothing has been more fulfilling than to have created an agency where 100’ s of designers have been able to realize a fulfilling career.

7. How has your views on design changed since you started your

career?

I’ m come to understand the importance of staying current and connected to the rapid changes that are impacting our industry. Part of staying ahead of the curve is hiring and surrounding you with co-workers who are immersed in the newest mediums and thinking. While many of the core skills of design have not changed, my ability to compete and stay inspired have come as a result of embracing the digital promise of design.

8. What is important?

Balancing personal life with work life. Don’ t let your work get in the way of your family. You’ ll regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment